Friday, February 23, 2007

U.W. Winter Open Feb 24-25 Madison, WI

This tournament has averaged 55 player the last 3 years. Past results are as follows:

2006 Winner Ashish Vaja
2005 Winner Alexander Betaneli
2004 Winner IM Stansilav Smetankin

2007 Results (Betaneli wins)

I scored 3-0=1 to finish with 4/5 (1 bye)

I tied for 3rd which was good enough for $120


In round 4 I was paired against Brian Luo(2057). The #1 nine year old in the nation (by almost 200 points!). This is what none other than Gary Kasparov had to say about him:

"I am impressed to see kids like Ray Robson, Daniel Naroditsky and Brian Lou. All of them have the potential to become not only strong, but leading American grandmasters....."

-Gary Kasparov (page 39 September 2006 Chess Life)

I made a speculative exchange sac, but Brian missed zwischenzug (16...Bxh2+) which would have left him clearly better. After that the game got very complex. I got myself in really bad time trouble and went into survival mode and missed many obvious moves that would have won instantly. I agreed to a draw later, although analysis shows that white was better.

Click here to replay the game.

I was surprised that Brian was blitzing out moves when I was in time time trouble. While doing so he made many gross errors that I just missed since I was only trying to get to time control without worsening my position.

I have a 1-0=1 record against Brian. I won the first time we played around 2 years ago when he was rated 1675.

Below are some postions where I missed winning moves.

28.Bxf7

30.Bd5

44.f4+

45.Ne2+


This was another tournament with adjournments, and I had 2! I took a bye in the 3rd round but had to come back after that round to play the two adjournments. Normally that would have meant a start time as late as 2 am. But because of the bad weather the last round was shortened into a G/60, so I had to come back at 9:30.

I was clearly winning in both adjourned games, and made very good sealed moves.

In round 1 my sealed move was N d3-c1

In round 2 my sealed move was N b3-c5

Click here for games (opens new window)

4 comments:

  1. Ivan, I thought you'd like to know that your game versus Steve Lemansky in 2003 is annotated at IM Andrew Martin's Chess Academy webpage:

    http://www.andrewmartinchessacademy.com/games/week51/base.htm

    IM Martin used it as an example at a chess clinic I attended this weekend in Davenport, Iowa. Of course, it's not fun to have one's losses presented, but at least you have some annotations and comments to learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.andrewmartinchessacademy.com/
    games/week51/base.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a fine result!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have my congratulations even though your draw against Luo forced me to play Betanelli in the last round. The rating points never seem to come easily, do they?http://vinnyjh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete