Saturday, June 20, 2009

San Antonio City Cahmpionship 2009
June 20, 21

San Antonio City Championship

48 players
1 Master
6 Experts
10 A-players

S ANDERSON & G STANLEY tie for first with 4.5/5.0

USCF Results


I finished with 3.5/5.0 I lost to the top seed NM Selby Anderson in round 2 & took a last round bye.
I thought that Black could hold this ending. Although White can create a passed pawn in the middle of the board, I thought that Black had enough resources to defend. I played ..Ng5 to go into a Bishop vs Knight ending. But I think that was was a mistake.

I went over the position with an Expert and he suggested ...a5.


History (year/players/winner(s))
2009 48 S ANDERSON, G STANLEY
2008 51 E MALAZARTE
2007 54 D SUTHERLAND, G STANLEY, A SMITH
2006 70 P YEH, J HYLTIN, A GUERRA

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to Texas! Let me know when you get a chance to hit HCC@

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to play in the Houston Open(July 24-26)

    I will be moving to CC on the 22nd

    Adios

    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps your TX Top Active Players link should be changed to TX Top Rated Active Players. TX Top Active Players makes me think of Robert Smeltzer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think Ng5 would be good, too. Tough loss! But it sounds like you had a good tourny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. did you get donald sutherland's authograph? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will see you at the Houston Open!

    Selby Anderson crushed me in our one match, but a 600 point rating difference will do that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems to me that h5 Idea kh7 and invade with the dude through the K-side kh6 the g5 and lets play chess
    H Baez (Mr B)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Selby responds to the h5 idea:

    After the expert's suggested ...a5 White plays Nd3 and walks king to the center, preparing e2-e4. That was my ace in the hole -- I had a viable majority and you did not (after ...fxg6).

    ReplyDelete