Friday, January 19, 2007

This and That

I was looking at the tournament listing for the Chicago Open this year. There are some interesting changes:

The class cut-offs are different :

Under 2300,
Under 2100,
Under 1900,
Under 1700:
each $5000-3000-2000-1000-700-500-400-400-300-300.

There are new rules to deter computer cheating:

1) Players may not use headphones, earphones, cellphones or hearing aids or leave tournament floor without permission (rule may be waived for minus scores or those who cannot score more than 5 points).

2) Players must submit to a search for electronic devices if requested by Director; refusal to be searched is grounds for expulsion from the tournament, with no refund.

Complete info at: http://www.uschess.org/tla/yState.php?st=IL

The USCF will be pulishing monthly rating supplements (electronic) starting Feb. 2007, instead of even months only. The Chicago Open will use the May supplement.

Because of this I will be among the top seeds in the U1900 section as long as I don't go over 1900 before the May supplement comes out. The cut-off for the May supplement will be all tourmanents rated by 11pm Friday April 6th.


I was planning on not playing much, but decided to play at the Northeastern Open. After this tournament I plan to join ICC and play in a couple of other OTB tournaments and prepare for a good performance at the Chicago Open.

3 comments:

  1. My son is a freshman at UW. I am hoping to play there in February.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! You have a very nice blog! I'm here to share valuable info with you visit my blog,about Mozilla Firefox web browser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you played in any tourneys lately? If so, could you post your games/progress.

    ReplyDelete