Thursday, September 21, 2006

This and that

A few days ago I had a dream that I had suddenly become a better player. I had two relatively easy wins against a 1600 and 1700 right after that. I was almost starting to believe my dream, but was brought back to earth pretty quickly. I had a couple of losses to an expert and an A player and then only scored 1-3=1 at the Iowa Open. One win in seven games!

Today was the last game at the Waukesha Team Tournament. I was paired against the 9-0, eight year old Alexander Velikanov.

I don't think many people gave me a chance, (Including myself) but I managed to win.

I was going to play the Caro Kann which I used to play, instead of my new defense to e4 the Qd6 Scandinavian. But I was surprised when he played 1.d4 which I have never seen him play. He then followed that up with e3, Bd3 and f4.

It was a classic case of good Knight vs bad Bishop.

Game replay

Check out this great application by Wayne Zimmerle

2 comments:

  1. Nice game against Alexander. He should have contested e4 at some point. You had nice positional pressure for the whole game.

    That MSA application is very great. Wouldn't it be nice if USCF wove it into their website? Also, wouldn't it be nice if USCF gradually extended their record back before 1991? I've been playing since 1972 !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When they were doing the MSA, it was discovered that all tournament records before 1991 were destroyed

    ReplyDelete