Friday, April 17, 2009

Marshall Chess Club - NYC

We spent spring break in NYC and I got a chance to play at the Marshall Chess Club yesterday. It was 4 round G/30 event. It was a very strong event with 45 players. There was a GM, 3 IMs and a FM! along with several other masters and experts.

I was paired against NM Oliver Chernin in the first round. He played the English and we reached the following position with Black to play, but I could not hold in mutual time trouble.
In round 2 I beat 1658 rated 5th grader Lilia Poteat who should be around #30 in the May Top Girls Under 16 list. She became the 2009 KCF All-Girls Nationals Under-12 Champion

I drew 1939 rated Marcus Fenner in round 3.

My 4th round opponent didn't show up! Giving me 2.5/4.0 and a share of the U2000 prize. (Which was a little less than the entry fee since it was a 4-way tie)

I have now played in 20 states.

USCF Cross table here.

Official Marshall Chess Club website here.

12 comments:

  1. the marshall website looks as old as the school. congratulations games well played .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its awesome that you got a chance to play at the Marshall!

    My best friend, who also loves chess, recently had the chance to visit New York, but failed to visit a single chess site. I would like to see some more pictures of NY chess culture, if you have them Ivan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pity your last round opponent didn't show up, afterall you where there to play chess.

    Congrats on shared first place in the <2000 section.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the position from your game against Chernin, time trouble aside, White seems to me to have a much stronger position. He has a big space advantage, a good (and dominating) Bishop, and an open b-file. Black can try to untangle himself, but at this point, he's really playing for a draw, while White is going for the full point.

    Would you assess the position differently?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I thought that Black maybe able to hold a draw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why did you think Black would hold a draw? I'd like to see your detailed assessment of the imbalances of the position. How do you think the game "should" progress, in the absence of time trouble? If you seriously want to improve, I think you could spend much more time trying to understand the ideas behind the positions you reach, and understanding why games turn out the way they do, instead of dismissing all your losses as "time trouble" and moving on to repeat the exact same mistakes.

    This is intended to be helpful, not critical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ashish,

    Thanks for the comments.

    The critical moment of the game was a few moves back when I made a move that gave White more space.

    I will post that position when I get back to Milwaukee. I am in Sydney until then.

    Are you playing in the Chicago Open?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to harp on this, but ... you really did not answer the question. It's a simple question: how do you evaluate the position you posted to your blog? My concern is that you are never really looking at the board, never trying to UNDERSTAND what's going on - too often you are thinking about ratings, or standings, or cheap tactics, or your next tournament. EVERY position is critical. You can't abdicate responsibility by saying the critical position was somewhere else - every move is an opportunity - we see that even in the games of 2700s.

    I'm serious. Can you write down a complete evaluation (in English sentences) of the position you posted?

    ReplyDelete