I did not get off to a good start. Lost the first game to a 1707. There are 9 more games to go so I have planty of chances to come back. I need to score 6/10, (make that 6/9) in order not to lose rating points.
Round 2 ( I need to make-up Round 1)
[Event "Waukesha CC G/90"]
[Site "Waukesh CC"]
[Black "Hetzel, Michael"]
1. d4 d5 2. Bg5 h6 3. Bh4 Nd7 4. e3 Ngf6 5. Nd2 e5 6. Ngf3 (6. dxe5 Nxe5 7.
Ngf3 Ng6 8. Bg3) 6... exd4 7. exd4 Be7 8. Bd3 O-O 9. O-O Re8 10. Re1 Nf8 11.
Ne5 Ne6 12. c3 c5 13. Bxf6 (13. dxc5 Nxc5 14. Bb5 Bd7 (14... Ncd7) (14... Nfd7
15. Bxe7 Rxe7 16. Bxd7 Nxd7 17. Ndf3 Nxe5 18. Rxe5 Bg4 19. Rxe7 Qxe7 20. h3
Bxf3 21. Qxf3) 15. Nxd7 Nfxd7 16. Bg3 (16. Rxe7 Rxe7 17. Bxe7 Qxe7 18. Nf3 Nf6
19. Qd4 Ne6 20. Qd2 Rd8 21. Rd1 Ne4 22. Qc2) 16... a6 17. Bf1) 13... Bxf6 14.
Qh5 (14. Bb5 Re7) 14... Bxe5 15. dxe5 (15. Qxe5 cxd4 16. cxd4 Bd7) 15... Nf4
16. Qf3 Qg5 17. g3 Nh3+ 18. Kg2 Qxd2 19. Re2 Qg5 20. Kh1 Bg4 21. Qg2 Bxe2 22.
Bxe2 Qd2 23. f4 Qe3 24. Rf1 d4 25. Bb5 Red8 26. Qxh3 dxc3 27. bxc3 Rd2 28. Bd7
Qe4+ 29. Kg1 Rd8 30. e6 fxe6 31. Bxe6+ Kf8 32. c4 Rxa2 33. Bd5 Qd4+ 34. Kh1 b6
35. Qf5+ Qf6 36. Qh7 Re2 37. Qd3 Rde8 38. Qh7 R8e3 39. Qg8+ Ke7 40. Qa8 a5 41.
Qb7+ Kf8 42. Qc8+ Re8 43. Qd7 Re1 44. Rxe1 Rxe1+ 45. Kg2 g5 0-1
In a d4 opening if Black can play e5 comfortably, or play d5 in a e4 game, he has equalized. I forgot this in this game. I should have played Ngf3 instead of Nd2. Black did not take full advantage of this.
This is the critical moment of the game. This move determined the future of the game.
dc This is the move I wanted to play and analyzed dc, Nc5, Bb5 when I may win the two Bishops and saddle Black with an isolated pawn.
I also looked at 13. Bxf6 first, then playing dxc and B b5.
I chose the above two moves as candidates and tried to see who the resulting position might favor. I thought that the first option was the best.
But then I did some thing that I knew I shouldn't do. I looked at a few candidate moves, analyzed them, and then suddenly saw something else which looks good, and played it without much analysis.
13. Bxf6 Bxf6 14. Qh5 Bxe5 15. dxe5 Nf4
I didn't see the Nf4 move (I am worse now). After this second mistake, I was disappointed in myself and could not concentrate. I then proceeded to drop a piece. My focus level during the game was not good. Sometimes I feel completely focused and have a sense of being one with the game. Reminds me of what a 2200 hundred player was telling me about a recent game he had won. He said his opponent was playing well, but suddenlystarted playing as though he was a random move generator. I felt I was doing this in this game at various times.
Results - This tournament is turning out very badly for me. When it is rated in late September I will lose any gains I may have made. I have to win 5/6 in order not to lose any rating points!
- To be played ALKER, ARLEN P (1820) vs Me
- Loss Me vs HETZEL, JOSEPH H (1707) - July 13th
- Loss Me vs VELIKANOV, ALEXANDER (1781) - July 20th
- Win FIXEL, MICHAEL R (1642) vs Me - July 26th
- Loss Me vs PUCHNER, JOHN (1733)
- To be played Me vs ALKER, ARLEN P
- Win HETZEL, JOSEPH H vs Me - Aug 16
- To be played - VELIKANOV, ALEXANDER vs Me
- Aug 30 - Me vs FIXEL, MICHAEL R
- Sep - 6 PUCHNER, JOHN D vs Me
Round 1 make up Sep - 13 WALKER, ARLEN P (1820) vs Me
Round 6 make up Sep - 20 Me vs WALKER, ARLEN P